Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Out of the Box and (Mostly) Set Up

I have some pics that I took while unpacking and setting up the new PC. I think I have everything arranged the way I want it. The video is gorgeous. I never imagined a 42" computer display and it looks fabulous at 1080p. It took some digging to figure out why the picture didn't fill the screen. It seems ATI defaults to using 80% of the screen instead of 100%. Not a big deal, and I can think of a couple reasons to do that, but then don't bury the slider to change it so deep it takes a trip to Google to find it.

The PC itself seems OK. As I figured, lots of cheesy plastic in the case and generic parts inside, but I don't tend to physically stress equipment, so it should be OK. iTunes was flaky at first, but then I remembered that Vista has a real problem with files from XP due to hyper-sensitive security regarding file ownership properties. Making the only user on Vista the owner was one of those obvious-once-known things that make Microsoft so beloved in the computer community. It wasn't difficult, but chugging through the 25k+ files on the Drobo took the better part of an hour. Once that was done, iTunes started behaving.

The longest part was, as always, uninstalling all the craptastic "free" software and trial versions that come installed. Then I installed everthing I think we will need. I think I have everything pretty much working at this point. I need to get the wireless print server set up to look for the wireless from the router instead of the laptop (not sure how that happened....) and I'm good to go. There are still some display tweeks; running 1920x1080 makes some screen elements mighty small from the couch 12 feet away. Maybe I should have bought a 60"? In any case, as of now, everything is here and so far it works.

The best part is watching videos. Everything from Tech Ticker to Hulu to DVD's to rips look fantastic. Smooth even during fast-moving pans and the up-converting makes a standard DVD's 480 lines look pretty good. Not Blu-Ray good, but I doubt the difference would be that noticable on a store-brand 42" LCD. I definitely like this setup.

Tomorrow, I should finish up tweeking things and then this little project will be as done as any computer project is ever done. Then clean up the laptop and set it up in the office so we can both have a computer to use.

5 comments:

TomboCheck said...

sounds like a sweet setup. :)

Ric said...

It's nice, but you would be surprised how difficult it was to find a decent media PC. I ended up with an HP, probably my least favorite box builder (love their printers; hate their PC's), simply from lack of choice. Innovation continues at the component level, but not the retail box level. I we could have held out for another year or 18 months, it would have been better, but ya do what ya gotta do. Maybe in 18 months we will be in a position to get another one.

Michelle said...

It must be so cool to get a new pc and get to play with all the new shit on it.. ahhh.. this is coming from someone who trundles along an an old one for years, so it seems exciting to me.. whatevs.. it's a damn lot of work though.. hope you get it all sorted out before the novelty wears off :)

oh and that it doesn't disappoint you too much :Z

Unknown said...

I just picked up a new Gateway at Best Buy this week for doing HD video editing...works great! Reading about your experiences was a deja vu!

Here's what I did with it:

http://prescottragnar.wordpress.com

Nice meeting you at the meeting!

:) PS

Ric said...

There is some nice hardware out there, but everyone seems more interested in keeping the shelves bare instead of innovating. For example, why isn't HDMI standard on the motherboard? Why does everyone build media PC's in tower boxes? Mac Mini is the form factor that everyone should be shooting for in a media PC (just not the pathetic specs and ridiculous price of the Mini).

Once things loosen up in 12-18 months, I'm sure the market will be flooded with sweet hardware, but in the mean time, pickin's be slim.

Still, it is fun, and Vista does have some nice eye candy. The best is the video. It's been a long time since I bothered with anything better than on-board video and a cheap monitor. Full 1080p on a 42" screen could really turn me into a bigger couch potato than I already am.