Thursday, March 12, 2009

And the Fluffing Pays Off

I just got the grade on the paper that was 30% fluff: 100.00%. Perfection out to four decimal places.

I also got final grades for both classes and they are in line with my previous grades at Cornerstone. That makes my prediction wrong; I was pleasantly surprised on both counts. Confused, but I'll take it.

College tip for any kiddies out there: it isn't about how well you can make your point; it's about carefully following the APA guidelines in all their asininity and hitting the page count. All else is secondary. This will prepare you fully for work in the real world where all memos are in APA format and where you are expected to always say in 500 words what a normal person can say in 50, because it makes you look all edjamacated. OK, so that last point sort of fails as sarcasm as it actually is how large businesses work.

This is a college education in 2009. For this, our children will start their adult lives $40,000 or more in debt.

2 comments:

GreatMatt said...

I second that on the work side of things. Always make emails as lengthy as possible. This actually accomplishes two things. First, your boss with think you know what your talking about because you had so much to say about it. Second, they won't actually read it because it's too long. Then they will stay off your back in meetings about said topic, because they don't want you to call them out on something you covered in the email that they didn't read. At least, that works around here. :-)

Ric said...

LOL

I loved my hiring manager at Munson. His attitude was if he didn't hear anything from me and my customers weren't complaining, all was well. It was awesome. Then it all changed and the PHB's took over. You couldn't get a Q-Tip without completing a 70-page request that no one would ever read.

The one positive outcome from a 1970's-style recession is that a lot of this sort of crap gets shaken out of for-profit businesses, at least.