Thursday, March 19, 2009

More Rearranging

Still moving around files and hardware and changing up things with the old laptop (which will be kept as a second computer for Debbie when I'm hogging the main one; we decided we couldn't get enough money out of it to make it worth selling). I ran into a bit of a wall, and it pisses me to some degree. Last summer, I bought a wireless print server so we could keep the printer in the office instead of having it sitting in the living room. It worked perfectly. Today, I tried to set up the print server software on the new Vista box. The software doesn't run under Vista. I visit the Linksys web site where the discussion boards are overflowing with people screaming about the lack of support for Vista two years after the OS hit the streets. So tomorrow, I rearrange the living room to make space for an ugly piece of furniture that will have an ugly printer sitting on it. Major suck, Linksys. I know Vista has been a pain for everyone, but it can't be that hard to support it.

Ah well; it will give me something to do tomorrow instead of being outside enjoying the 70 degree temps or finishing up cleaning the living room.

Understand that I gave up reading Cracked magazine when I was around 12 because I had outgrown its humor, but their 5 Ways 'Common Sense' Lies To You Everyday is actually a very intelligent bit of writing.

Well, I have a few more things to finish up so I can start cranking first thing in the morning on moving around furniture, then off to bed.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Ah, bloody Vista, I haven't heard anything but complaining about that, of course, I've spoken to exactly one person about it, and that was right in the beginning so I'm not sure it's relevant.. hopefully one day they'll have support for what you need but, you'd think it already had it.. oh well.

And I'm not sure what 70deg translates to in my language but your use of the word "enjoying" indicates that it's warm. Hehe.. nice that you got spring, it's snowing here now, I mean it hasn't for over a month but it decided to today, for whatever reason.

Ric said...

I was really hoping to hold out for Windows 7, but the old laptop was getting pretty creaky. Vista with service pack 1 isn't the worst OS Microsoft has written, but it's a long way from the best. Drivers are a problem as well, as in not that many.

I keep forgetting that Yanks are the only people still using Fahrenheit; 70F is about 21C. Not hot, but nice to be out in. It's supposed to turn nasty again (windy, cloudy, rain, snow at high elevation) this weekend, which is normal March weather here.