Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Coming Back to Life

I managed to walk down to the post office today, then wandered around the Firehouse Plaza for a bit just letting people know I was still alive. And I made it through the day with only one nap. So the recovery continues. I don't have my final grades yet; I expect them sometime before the end of the week. I have no idea what they will be. Normally, I have a pretty good feel, but not this time. I'm sure that at least in one case, I will be surprised and not in a good way.

Nice little bounce in the markets today, which will probably continue just long enough to fake people out. This guy is interesting to listen to, probably because I agree with him that the bailouts are "absolutely asinine." Not that anyone cares what I think or what he thinks; the bailouts are a done deal and will continue for a long time.

If evangelicals care about their own future, they need to read and understand this:
Within two generations, evangelicalism will be a house deserted of half its occupants....

Millions of Evangelicals will quit. Thousands of ministries will end. Christian media will be reduced, if not eliminated. Many Christian schools will go into rapid decline.

Why?
1. Evangelicals have identified their movement with the culture war and with political conservatism....

2. We Evangelicals have failed to pass on to our young people an orthodox form of faith....

3. There are three kinds of evangelical churches today: consumer-driven megachurches, dying churches, and new churches whose future is fragile....

4. ...Christian education has not produced a product that can withstand the rising tide of secularism....

Having been in the belly of the beast, I know this is true. Worse, I see nothing from the students at Cornerstone University that gives any hope of change. I seriously doubt that Cornerstone is unique in this.

Some are beginning to speak; the question is will anyone listen?

No comments: