Thursday, May 19, 2005

Wow. Look at those comments rolling in. The response to yesterday's post can only mean one of two things:

1. DFJ is the only person that reads my blog. No one, not even my own family members, takes the time to read and understand what I write. I am, in essence, talking to myself.

Or.

2. I have thousands of readers that are too shy to leave comments on my blog after reading my posts. They are totally intimidated by my rapier sharp wit, the sun-like blindingness of my insights, and my soaring prose. (Actually, I never knew prose could soar; I didn't know it even had wings.)

I'll go with Number 2. After all, as Marcus (Babylon 5) says, "If your going to have illusions, you may as well go for the really satisfying ones."

Yesterday, the Ladies in Blue put another one in the win column against Traverse City West, making it 10-3-1 so far. They are playing extremely well, although the injuries are starting to pile up. That isn't surprising given the aggressive schedule. Still, with four games to go, I would expect at least three more wins. But even if they lose the rest of the season, this is still the best record to date for this team.

Today was an easy trip into work as the Worst Planned and Executed Road Construction Project in History was either canceled due to excessive stupidity or completed. It's hard to tell as the point of the whole project seems to be lost on everyone. A seven-mile stretch of M-72 was reduced to a single lane (with east- and west-bound taking turns) for most of a week so road crews could re-blacktop a couple hundred feet of road and patch a half-dozen places on the shoulder of the road. Most of the time the only workers in the "construction zone" were the guys with the stop/slow signs directing the traffic. Even when real work was being done, the road crew was never working in more than 5-10% of the area with lane closures, and most of that work was completely on the shoulder of the road and at most needed a single lane closure rather than closing three out of the four lanes. I don't know who these yahoos were, but I hope the county never contracts with them again. Of course, knowing the ignoramuses that run things around here, they will get a bonus and a lock on every road project for the next 20 years.

But I'm not bitter.

And that's about it. I was taxi driver for Nestina after she got out of school today, then home to chill out and catch up here.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I read it and enjoyed it, but I would not brag about a raper wit;-)

Debbie said...

I read some of it....I do have to skim thru the parts that are boring to me! I haven't thought of a new good job for you, so I didn't post a response.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ric, Debbie & Nestina,

Hope life is being good to you!

My name is Pauline (aunt of Nestina) in AZ. I have been reading your page on occasion, and would fit into the the #2 group. "You're funny!" I strongly believe being a stand-up comedian is your calling Ric. Your first routine could be all about VA lady, as long as you don't use the word veteran, and keep it to VA staffers; you'll be fine.

Now, having the desire to post a comment for the first time, I best say hi to Nestina, and send my love. In case she doesn't read your comments Ric, can you please share this with her? Also, PLEASE tell her we are proud of her, and will miss being a part of her graduation ceremony.

God bless, Pauline