Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Quick post from work before I leave for home. With some luck, I will get to post more tonight. Just a note that I have added yet another blog: Uncle Jonny, husband of the Not-So Bionic Woman.

And Fred Reed nails the poverty issue. There is very little real poverty in the United States. There are lots of people who make bad decisions and end up with less stuff than average, but true poverty, defined as no clothing, no food, no housing of any kind, is very rare. The welfare industry can only claim huge increases in poverty by defining "poor" in ways that defy all logic. I know people who are defined as poor that have less-than-a-decade-old housing, DISH TV, multiple phone lines, internet access, cars, and are obese to boot. (Note to "poor" people: if you want me to feel sorry for you, try to weigh something less than 400 pounds.) Now on the one hand, it is awesome that we live in a nation of such wealth that a lifestyle completely unimaginable to kings a mere 200 years ago is defined as living in poverty. On the other hand, get your hand out of my pocket.

No comments: