Thursday, May 19, 2005

I was so worried about comments, I forgot to give everyone their reading assignments. This article says briefly what I have been trying to get across in my youth group. Salvation is by grace alone. Nothing I do can earn it; nothing I do can maintain it. Grace alone. I think one reason we have such a problem with this idea (some denominations have more of a problem than others, but all struggle with this) is that our human interactions are completely driven by interlocking obligations. I am obligated to work for my employer; they are obligated to pay me. Women trade sex for what they want, men will give whatever they have to get sex. We try to treat our relationship with God the same way: if I say the magic words, God is obligated to save me. The key fact is: I cannot obligate God to do anything. I am saved by grace, not by my actions so that I have no reason to boast (I think someone else said something like that).

I don't think I noted Hunter S. Thompson's death when it happened mainly because I had never read anything he wrote. This article by his editor, Robert Love, makes me want to find his stuff.

And it is bed time.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I have finally blogged again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ric--

I'm testing out whether or not this "anonymous" feature works!

signed--
anon.

Debbie said...

As most of you know.....I did NOT post the blog on Thursday. Ric forgot to change back to his name before creating the post.

Glad to know alot of people are hitting our blog.

Debbie