Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Road construction made for a long, boring ride into work. Work is also long and boring. I had one fun thing to do, but I finished that about an hour ago. I'm leaving in half an hour to meet Nestina's soccer team here in Traverse City, so I really don't want to start anything new.

I hate days like today.

The project I was hoping to work on was put off for another year. This is the third or fourth year that has happened. At this point, I tired of waiting, and I'm tired of what I'm doing. In fact, I'm just tired of working on computer systems. I've been doing this gig for over 20 years and I'm ready for a big change.

But what? I'm too old (and too far into debt with our house) to start over in some entry level position. I could contract, but the last time I did that in this area, I had dozens of clients, but none that were capable of paying. And the one thing I'm not looking for is some "career" that consumes my life, which contracting tends to do, especially if you start hitting the road. Besides, that's just more of the same computer junk I've been doing.

I'm looking for something really different.

Circus clown.

Nope. Monster.com doesn't have a single circus clown position in its entire database.

Lets see...

Fireman.

Monster has over 100 entries for that, but none around here. If I have to move, I'm not stopping until I get some place tropical.

What else?

Working on a cruise ship.

Wow. 269 of those. Everything from Art Auctioneer to Housekeeping. The pay stinks, but it includes room and board. And the weather is nice. Hmmm.

Of course, I can always dig out the snake-skin miniskirt and head to Crossroads Bar with my old Lola gig. From what I hear, I'd be the best looking woman there, even without electrolysis. And, being a mere 40 years of age, I'd be one of the younger ones as well.

So how 'bout it? What should I do for the next 20 years? This is an opportunity for you to mess up my life, and for me to find out if anyone actually reads this blog. So lets see some comments!

1 comment:

Dogfootjoe said...

its funny how. the post you'd like to see have some comments hasnt yet gotten one.

and for a career change. i think you should go with...used paper seller