Thursday, February 26, 2009

Short Break, Long Break, Whatever...

A funny thing happened while I was taking a short break from writing school papers; it turned into a long break. Four hours and counting to be precise. Now I have to really crank the next two days, but at least looking away for a few hours has given me some new ideas for the paper I'm working on. You know the primary goal of college isn't to learn things and be able to demonstrate that learning in a succinct manner; it's all about hitting the page count and following the APA guidelines. (Which, speaking of bored people, one would think a group of psychologists could find something better to worry about than whether it's better to separate the city and name of the publisher with a comma or a semi-colon. I'm sure the world was holding its breath awaiting the outcome.) So once I'm done boring my readers, I will get back to fluffing up my last big project this week and possibly getting a start on the big paper due next week.

Anyway, I see Obama took Political Math 101 in college, just like the rest of the moral defectives in Washington DC. For the last time: Even 100% confiscation of all income on the top 1% or 2% or 5% will not close the budget deficits. And the wealthy, thanks to progressive taxes, already pay a disproportionate share of income taxes. The only meaningful tax reform involves restructuring FICA taxes, but if we do that, any remaining illusion that Social Security is anything but welfare will disappear.

Change we can believe in, eh? Looks like more of the same from where I'm sitting.

GM is losing $58K a minute. A share of common stock is $2.33, and they just posted a per-share loss of $9.65 excluding special items for just the fourth quarter, so that makes the value of the company, um, lets seee... subtract a 5.... carry the 2.... Well, I don't have Obama's math skills, so I can't give an exact figure, but just going by the seat of my pants, I'd say GM is toast.

Maybe Toyota will take over all the abandonded plants in Michigan. We'll be flying back there in June, so it will be interesting to see how things look on the ground.

No comments: