Wednesday, February 11, 2009

AAAAAAUUUUUUUUGH!

We didn't sell everything and move to Arizona for this:

This was taken on Monday. Yesterday was even worse! The landlord even had to shovel off the walks and stairs and tried (rather unsuccessfully) to shovel the eight inches of heavy wet snow off the drive we use to get into the garage. It's so funny watching people who rarely have to deal with snow try to figure the stuff out. For one thing, nothing is set up to be plowed or shoveled, no one has the right equipment, and even if they do, they have no idea how to use it. At the mall where Debbie works, there was a guy trying to clear five acres of parking lot. With a backhoe. Yep. Better yet was the genius in the city plow truck that plowed all the snow to the center of the road. Ye flippin' gods.

Personally, that photo is as close as I've come to leaving the apartment in two days, other than to run down and open the garage for Debbie and do a couple loads of laundry. Not that I have time to leave the apartment in any case. In fact, I need to get a whole bunch of writing done today so I don't end up crashing. Which explains why I'm here blogging instead of getting at it. In two weeks, one class drops off, so I'll get some breathing space to finish up the other two classes.

Come on, May 11.

Oh, and speaking of school, ya know that paper I had to write without the benefit of the text books? Grade: 100.00%. BS degree indeed. And I have no idea why the grading system runs out to four decimals, especially when the final grade is just a letter grade. Whatever. I just want to do enough to pass and get it over with.

One of my heroes is calling it quits. I can certainly understand, but I miss reading his columns already. Drink one for me, Fred. We plan on being in his neighborhood at some point, so maybe we'll run into him at his favorite watering hole.

Well, I really do need to get to work as much as I'm tired of endlessly typing. If I don't go insane before this is over, I'm going to need serious carpal tunnel surgery.

5 comments:

Granny J said...

Hey, that's sad news indeed. I'll miss Fred.

GreatMatt said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

I kid. I kid. Well, not really. With the warm up we've had, you might have more snow than Traverse City. There's actually a lot of green (brown) ground here at the moment.

Anonymous said...

I like the snow, it's a welcome change from the usual weather. Then again, I didn't move here to get away from snow.

Ric said...

Yea Matt; we've been watching the Michigan weather; it's been consistently warmer there than here all this week and it looks like it's going to stay that way through the weekend. But you still have your big March snow coming that won't melt until Mother's Day. ;-)

I don't really mind the snow because right now I rarely leave the apartment anyway. I worry more about Debbie on the road with several thousand other people running on bald tires with no clue how to drive on snow. Heck, rain seems to confuse a fair share of drivers our here in the Territories.

Ric said...

Granny J: The world needs its curmudgeons. They are vital to the proper working of society. Unfortunately, it seems today that instead of Fred's style of informed curmedgeonlyness (new word!), we have plain bad manners and ignorance.

Public discourse is poorer, but I certainly understand.