Friday, June 20, 2008

More Blah, Blah, Blah

Nothing really going on out here in Arizona. It's getting hot, so of course the AC in the bakery crapped out a couple days ago. It's still nothing compared to Arcosanti's triple-digit temps while handling 2200 degree bronze, but it isn't all that pleasant, either.

Speaking of the bakery, we still are not using tomatoes so we don't have to argue with everyone about whether they are safe to eat or not. Yesterday, I over-heard the owner explaining to a customer that she was waiting until the "tomato crisis" was over before ordering some more. Crisis?!?! Well, I guess, given that everything else is a crisis, why not? But it just struck me as funny. Hold on to your bippies, folks; we're in the midst of a tomato crisis!

As you can see from our reading list over on the right, I'm finally getting around to reading the Harry Potter series. The first movie follows the book pretty closely including the dialog, which is unusual. People in real life never talk the way they do in books, largely because book dialog has to do a lot of explaining due to lack of body language. Sort of like talking on a telephone vs. talking to the same person face-to-face. The second movie seems to have wandered a bit farther away from the book by simplifying some of the plot line, which is more in line with what I would expect.

When we bought a new book shelf a couple weeks ago and started filling it up, I made the observation to Debbie that each book in the Potter series is longer than the one before, with book seven being a real monster. Yesterday, I was poking around to see when the next movie was coming out (November this year) and found a rumor that the last book will have to be made into two movies. There would be too much material left out trying to cram it into one.

OK; enough Harry Potter news. Like I said, not much going on out here.

We were at Arcosanti last weekend for the Juneteenth Jazz Festival. There were probably half the vendors and maybe a third of the people from last year. At first, we assumed things had died off early because it was Father's Day, but when we talked to several of the residents we know, they said it had been slow the other two days as well. The bakery has been slow, the resaurant has been slow; it's the same story with everyone we talk to. Everyone is just holding their breath waiting for the next jolt.

Maybe this is it.

3 comments:

Granny J said...

Speaking of Arizona, heat & all that, did you by any chance catch that HUGE sundog? I first saw the weird "rainbow" at about 11 a.m., it was still around at 11:45, so I posted a pic. Had to be juiced up to really show the colors.

Granny J said...

Oops -- is my clock that far off? In any event, it's been visible for about 45 minutes. To the ESE.

GreatMatt said...

I just finished the Harry Potter series in March. I absolutely loved it. Best read I've had in a long while. I'm not totally sure book 7 is longer than the one before it, but from what I've seen, they are making it into two movies. Which is good because unlike some of the other books, there really isn't anything you can cut out without drastically affecting the storyline. I think it will make for a very good couple of movies!