Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Not Getting It. Again.

I've assumed since the Napster flap that Metallica is getting kick-backs from the RIAA. Now they are threatening bloggers for, well, blogging. About them. About their new album. Which they heard at Metallica's studios. At Metallica's invitation. Then they (gasp!) blogged about it. On the Internet! Imagine that. That would be like inviting print journalists to a press conference, then having them actually write about it. The mind just boggles at the audacity of some people.

How can any one person, or group of people, be this completely and utterly clueless?

Oh. Right. Probably the same people that think anyone knows or cares about Metallica....

2 comments:

GreatMatt said...

I've been a fan of Metallica for a long time (obviously not as long as some as I was 2 when their first album came out). I agree that the Napster thing was incredibly stupid, but was also mostly perpatrated by Lars. The article you linked to is down, but after reading some of the others, I wonder how much the actual members of the band have to do with this. None of the articles I read mentioned any of them. They all referred to "management" action. But, I suppose the buck has to stop somewhere, and that will always be with the band themselves. /shrug

Ric said...

It makes me wonder just how bad the new material sounded that the band, managers, lawyers, whoever, completely over-reacted to blog posts about it. I'd love to read some of the posts that were taken down. I also wonder if the band knew about the invites before hand, or if some publicist jumped the gun and was told either clean up his mess or get out, then created an even bigger mess in the process. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

Oh, the link is working again. Cnet seems to have issues whenever a new batch of articles get posted.

And I definitely agree that the music is a separate thing from the performers. I love U2, but Bono is pretty much an ass.