Friday, January 30, 2009

School, Dentist, Pharmacy, Blah, Blah, Blah

Debbie had a long dentist appointment today and I needed a blood draw for a doctor's appointment next week. My blood draw only took about five minutes, so I spent the rest of the two hours sitting in the car reading stuff for school. Then we swung by the pharmacy to make a quick pick-up, then home where I did another 500 words or so, then decided my brain couldn't take anymore. So I hit all my regular websites spending most of the time watching Wil Wheaton playing Rock Band at last weekend's Phoenix Comicon. Next year, we are definitely going. It's only a two-hour drive from here.

Not much else going on today. Sort of a slow day. I'm getting concerned about the class that is supposed to start on Monday as I once again do not have my books for the class. I will be contacting people on Monday to find out what the heck is going on. How hard is it to ship some books? It's not like I ordered books from some Gomer selling books on eBay from his mom's basement. This is a university! And they can't get this right?

Which makes a nice transition into an essay based on comments Jerry Pournelle made at a conference on threats to the United States. His assessment was simple: the crap education system from kindergarten through grad school is the biggest threat to our country. If anyone needs proof, just look at Wall Street where all the best and brightest have brought the entire world to the verge of financial collapse doing things a high school drop-out could tell you were beyond stupid.

Speaking of beyond stupid, want proof that the Chinese will be walking on the moon while we are still trying to get back to the space station?

No comments: