Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Comfortably Numb

With apologies to Pink Floyd, I'm not really comfortable; just numb. Specifically, my tongue and lower jaw, thanks to a trip to the dentist this morning. I had some sort of ultra-deep cleaning that involved a squeaky ultrasound doohickey being scraped on my teeth and lasers burning something that smelled like wet leaves. I'm not sure I even want to know. I can't talk or swallow, so I'm sitting on the couch right now drooling on myself.

Yesterday was consumed with trying to get things straightened out for college. It turns out that the class that is supposed to start next Monday actually started yesterday. Why they don't just say that the class starts on January 20 instead of January 26 is completely beyond my comprehension. My books were shipped to Michigan because every computer system at Cornerstone has a different address for me, none of them correct. I have given my correct address five times both on-line and over the phone, and yet....

Anyway, my books are on the way here. I've already contacted the instructor to let them know that I will most likely miss the first due date (which is four days before the class "starts") because it's a little hard to write anything intelligent about what you have read when you don't have the books. He seems OK with it, which means either he is really laid back, or this sort of screw up happens on a regular basis.

The funny part was one of the responses I got to my original e-mail stating that I didn't have my books, I didn't have any way to log on to the system to get assignments, etc., I hadn't received any statements from the accounting department, that I didn't even know for sure what my student ID number was: "I'm sorry you feel uninformed." FEEL uninformed?!? I WAS uninformed!!

In any case, if this is our best and brightest at work, we really are doomed.

No comments: