Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Stabbing Jello

Fred Reed just put up an essay on Gaza:
As I write, Israel is using a military designed to fight hostile countries to fight a hostile population. In the modern world, this has seldom worked. To defeat a country you destroy its military and capture its territory. But Gaza has little military to destroy, no tanks or aircraft, and Israel already owns its territory. The IDF can invade but, afterward, the population will still be there, and still be hostile. Stabbing jello doesn’t buy you much.

Stabbing Jello, besides being an awesome name for a band, kind of describes a lot of what is going on these days. Our new president and congress are up to their armpits in plans to stimulate the economy. Meanwhile, WWII vets are freezing to death in their homes and the sense of doom is driving other people to the breaking point of sanity. Merrill Lynch employees still got their bonuses for destroying $15 billion of their clients wealth in three months. Just how badly do you have to screw up on Wall Street to not get a bonus?

I feel like I'm stabbing my own jello here trying to make headway on my college work. I did make some progress, but not near as much as I wanted to get done. The problem is that I just can't seem to put together a sentence that makes any sense, and I have six writing assignments that I'm juggling right now and a third class that starts on Monday.

So instead of blogging, I should probably be doing school work. But the alternative is to stare at the screen without getting any school work done anyway, so here I am. And I just ran out of words.

No comments: