Monday, July 03, 2023

More Medical Misadventure

Because I had so much fun the last time, I thought I would spend more time in the hospital. This was actually a scheduled outpatient procedure related to my kidney dialysis. But what got me was again the complete cluelessness when dealing with someone with diabetes. Even the original time of the procedure (10am) was problematic given that I was not allowed any food or drink after midnight. Then the doctor was over 3 hours late (not his fault, it was an emergency case). I already had an IV line, but instead of putting up a glucose drip like they normally do, they kept giving me glucose injections which made my sugar shoot up, then quickly crash back into dangerous territory. After everything was over, I'm in recovery trying to shake off general anesthesia with my blood sugar in the low 50's. I managed to get some OJ and graham crackers down me somehow and pulled up out of the nosedive, but it was close. Then after all that, a nurse told me it was all my fault because I had taken my normal amount of long-acting insulin the day before. It would have made zero difference either way; I had nothing to eat or drink from midnight on Wednesday to nearly 6pm on Thursday. I seriously doubt taking 26 instead of the normal 52 units of Tresiba would have mattered. In any case, I survived (barely) and fingers crossed, this is the last visit for a long time.

I've been spending more time on Twitter lately (too much according to Debbie) following all the fireworks around schools giving puberty blockers to young kids without parental knowledge or consent. Most people don't know that this sort of thing has been going on for a long time. School nurses have been routinely giving birth control pills to young girls on request without consulting the parents for a couple decades. It's a classic camel-nose-in-the-tent scenario. Public schools stopped educating (proven by over half of every graduating class being functionally illiterate) and became indoctrination centers for whatever whacky bullshit our universities dream up. The solution is simple. Don't waste your time going to school board meetings. Most of this stupidity filters down (along with dollars) from the federal and state level. Either advocate for a massive increase in property taxes or some other funding mechanism like an increase in the sales tax (good luck with that) so funding and with it control of the local school becomes local, or home school. The simplest solution to a broken system is to walk away. Yes, there is a cost, but it has been done by millions of other families.

I see the sun is rising, so I need to wrap this up. Later.

No comments: