Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Happy Fourth of July!

We will likely have another quiet day. There is some "doin's" at the Moose Lodge we will likely go to. Because of my dialysis, we probably won't do fireworks. Instead we will do what we usually do in the evening: watch TV while my dialysis machine grunts and moans.

Speaking of freedom, Twitterers (or whatever the hell you call people who live on Twitter 24/7) are all in a twat because Uncle Elon has instituted limits on how many tweets you can view in a day, etc. The entire point of the exercise is to stop the data scraping of the entire site on a daily basis. This puts enormous load on the servers, making the service slower and, more importantly, exposes every single person to governmental scrutiny. What you read, who you follow, what you say, all of it. So now there are limits to how much you can read in a 24-hour period with verified accounts getting more. I would think that would be obvious; you pay, you get more access. I'm not real clear on the argument that giving people who help pay the bills more access is somehow anti-free speech. Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. Is paying a phone bill anti-free speech? I'm more concerned about who is listening in on my phone calls and text messages [waves "Hi!" to the NSA] than I am about the $15 or so I pay every month.

Does that mean Twitter is perfect? Hell no! I've ranted plenty about people I follow being shadow-banned or having their accounts suspended for posting things that run counter to The Narrative. However, what's the old saw about perfect being the enemy of the good? Compared to Youtube or Facebook, Twitter is a haven of free speech. 

Speaking of old saws, I'll close with one of Thomas Jefferson's: Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

No comments: