Saturday, September 27, 2008

Stuff

I feel like I'm in some sort of holding pattern right now. I'm still waiting on some of the details for my new job, like when I'll be working, how much I will be making; unimportant details like that. The joys of being in a start-up.

Financially, last week wasn't a good week for many people. WaMu failed, which doesn't seem to have slowed the flood of credit card applications they send us. One would think that a bank on the edge of insolvency would back off on the unsolicited credit card offers. Anyway, one of our banks, Chase, bought up their assets. This is by far the largest bank failure in US history even adjusting for inflation. And it ain't over yet.

The markets, at least here in the US, continue to diddle around, just like our "leaders," with most indices slightly up yesterday. The rest of the world is in the toilet. Obviously their view of the ability of the Washington brain trust is somewhat less rosey than Wall Street's. The US mint has suspended sales of gold coins in the face of massive demand. I still can't believe that I didn't grab a sack when it was $300/ounce.

Last bit of good news; the only bright spot in the economy doesn't seem to be quite so bright.

Well, soon I'll be off to stand around at work. If the rumors are true, I'm getting out just in time.

No comments: