Sunday, September 07, 2008

Good News, Bad News

The good news is that I won't have to work every Saturday and Sunday. The bad news is that it's because the restaurant job evaporated. At least the owner figured out that she couldn't afford to replace an unpaid intern with a paid employee before the bakery owner found my replacement.

So I'll be staying at the bakery for now. I may be working more on Saturday's, but I've heard that line before.

And the hits keep coming. Our numbers from the last week are running about double the number of readers we normally see on this site, all trying to find out if the world is going to end on September 10.

To judge by the screams from liberals, you would think the world already ended. Palin has all the feminazi's and granola-eaters in a complete lather. I stood in the back of the bakery Thursday listening to the owner and two women customers denouncing Palin as a "redneck" and "just a horrible person." The three of them kept at it for at least 20 minutes. Which probably tells you everything you need to know. Here's how I see it: everyone assumes that the taint of George Bush will make it difficult for any Republican to win an election for dog catcher, let alone President. So if McCain gets thumped in November, no big deal. Obama will get the presidency by virtue of people voting against Bush or staying home. But if McCain wins, it will be a huge upset and Obama threw away what should have been a cake walk. Can't lose for McCain, can't win for Obama. And Palin makes a McCain win far more likely than it was a week ago.

Not that any of it matters. The system is in place and no one will ever get near that big leather chair at 1600 Pensylvania Avenue that has plans for any substantive change. The government is spending $8.5 billion a day. Does any rational person believe that those who directly benefit from that money are going to stand by while someone takes away the rice bowl?

Or maybe I'm suffering a Chomsky overload....

2 comments:

Andy Chao said...

Hey, I'm going to try and get out of Arcosanti for a while today, and hopefully make it up to Prescott. I was wondering if you guys would be around; I'd like to see you while I'm there.

Ric said...

Sorry we missed you. Sunday is the only day of the week we both have off, so we get outta Dodge, even if it's only to do some shopping and see a movie.

I'm going to try to make it out to Arco for Different Skies. Debbie will be in Michigan, but I wanted to get over there just to see who was still around.

Take care!