Friday, August 31, 2007

Pournelle's Iron Law and Burning Man

This guy sounds like all of us down in the foundry after lunch complaining about Arcosanti. Pournelle's Iron Law rules over more than just government. Money quote:
Burning Man should stop the disingenuous Green Man immediately. It's all a lie. If you want to know how much a of a total lie it is, run a Google satellite photo of Burning Man right now and count the number of RVs there. And they're telling me it's an environmental movement? Bullshit. There are people sucking gas up there faster than they are passing it.
Ouch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I see this is an old post, but I just came across it googling burning man pournelle's iron law. I just watched a documentary about Burning Man and it struck me in the first few minutes of it that it's such a beautiful example of that theory in action. I mean like an absolutely perfect example.

Ric said...

Burning Man started out as a great idea, but like anything else, its mass marketing was its doom. It is the perfect symbol of what environmentalism has become.

American "environmentalism" since the early 1980's has been mostly farce. Al Gore standing in his 5,000 sq foot mansion telling me, living in 600 sq feet, that I need to sacrifice. IPCC politicians lecturing me from their private jets on what a wastrel I am for driving my one, 10-year-old car an average of 10 miles a week.

Given the examples of our "leaders", it's no big surprise what Burning Man has turned into.