Sunday, August 19, 2007

Debbie update

Hey All! Sorry I've been so quiet on our blog. I'll try to update those who take the time to read our blog. Work first:
Our last day at the small, hard to find AAA office was June 8th. We then moved/unpacked/organized and counted EVERY inventoried thing on Monday and Tuesday. I helped mostly with the inventory, so I didn't get my desk organized. Oh -- the best thing about the new office is I have my OWN DESK and I am working full time. Anyways, we had our "soft opening" on Wed, June 13th. Lots of problems in the morning with the phones/internet going up and down. It was hard to help a client when the computers and phones were dead. Oh well -- we survived and the clients took it in stride. I had a couple at my desk when we lost power to the whole office -- good thing I am near the front where all the windows are. Our "grand opening" was Friday, July 6th. Boy that was a hectic day. I forgot the estimated total of how many people came thru the door -- I think it was over 400! Before the year is out we are scheduled to have a "red carpet event" and another "ribbon cutting event" (or something like that with area dignitaries. The new office is in a large shopping strip center. Lots of parking and very visible. (Although we need a larger sign outside -- problems with what we could put on the facade and such) Our normal low is about 100 people served in a day. Every person that comes in is signed into our computer -- so we have a good idea of how many we help. Average day is about 120 I believe. That is between travel/insurance/car buying/trip tiks/tour books and maps/ and other things AAA offers. AAA also has mandatory training down in Phoenix. I have had to head down to HOT Phoenix for training. I can't believe how bad it is when we walk out at the end of the day. I'm surprised the blacktop is not bubbling up!

Home: We are slowly arranging our room to use all the space to the best of its ability. We recently bought a slow cooker and that has helped out alot in the cooking department with no real kitchen. Tomorrow is a try with country style ribs -- they were on sale and look awesome. Should be great after slow cooking all day in BBQ sauce! Who wants to join us?! Next day I try my hand at homemade chicken noodle soup in the slow cooker.

We have our name in the housing list for another place that is opening up this weekend. One of the other couples decided to give this place up. I hate to see them leave. Dinah was another kindered spirit -- a hardworker and cared about others and trying to make this place nicer. Anyways -- they had a nice large apartment on the third floor of EC3 -- complete kitchen and all. One drawback is the heat up there during the summer. We might have to invest in a room air conditioner. Oh well -- I would gladly have that expense to have a real kitchen.

Ric, as you know got a new job in the foundry. He likes it so far. Some of his first bells are now in the gallery. I tried to buy one today and he told me to wait til he starts making ones he really likes. These first ones are just basic design with three lines and a dot. He is expirementing with some other tools a couple people gave him. I guess I will find out later when he is happy with his design that we can buy one for ourselves and others. I was going to buy one of his "first bells" for my Mom and his Mom, but guess not.

We finally put a deposit on a BIG TRIP for just us. We are doing a 17night cruise/tour of Italy and the eastern Mediterrean in April/May 2008. Next year will be our 20th anniversary -- so we will be celebrating a little early. We fly into Venice and hope to plan some time to see Andrea who was in our workshop and worked with Ric in maintanence until he left.

After I put deposit on that, I got the news I had been chosen for a couple of AAA FAM trips. Agent only of course. But in September I will be going to Disneyland for 2 nights and then 6 nights in Hawaii -- 3 islands to see -- the Big Island, Oahu, and Maui. I wish we going to Kauai, but that will have to be another time.

Whenever we leave Arcosanti, we will probably be staying in the area. We recently signed up for a private mail box at the UPS store near downtown Prescott. That is the area we will probably try to find a rental. We have been there a couple weekends, but never during the day when all the things are open and happening. Ric got to explore this past week after his dentist appointment and found a bunch of interesting places in downtown Prescott. After the new tour guide schedule gets hammered out, he plans on taking off every other Sat or Sun so we can go visit places around here. We have been here almost 10 months and have not seen diddley squat! We need to go see what is worth it to see, so when my Mom comes to visit in December we know where to take her.

The biggest thing I miss here are my friends. Those that know me know that it takes me awhile to make friends. I haven't found anyone out here yet that I consider a good friend. Maybe I got spoiled by the friends I made in Kalkaska. :-) Yesterday I was looking thru the book that Kim made me with pictures and notes and started crying. I miss you all! I wish I could be there for a fun night of games and talking and foundue. I miss the talking and companionship the most -- being myself with you -- I know the wall was still up, but it was getting chipped away by certain ones. Thank you for that. The wall is back up again, but not as tall or thick in places. Things are much better between Ric and me. I can now say the cliche that what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger. I believe our marriage is stronger now then it has ever been. I thank all my family and my friends that stuck be me during that rough time. I could not have made it without all of you.

Well ... sorry to get so mushy and long winded. As I mentioned it has been awhile since I've blogged and things just keep pouring out. Hope all is well with all of you out in ether land.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Disneyland, Hawaii & Italy. I'm soooo jealous!!!:) I had to laugh a little about Ric's bells being in the "gallery"... Too Funny!! Matt says it's even funnier that he told you not to buy any...nice post:)

Ric said...

I should have bells with my own designs in the "gallery" later this week instead of the ones from my very first day. I don't really consider those to be "my" bells.

We make a lot of jokes about the "gallery." Right now it is set up more like a gift shop. At least the current manager knows what a real art gallery looks like and is trying to arrange the place differently. The problem is that I don't think the dweeb that runs Cosanti Originals has ever been in a gallery and is fighting every change. Most of us here that do the real work agree that all the old-timers need to die off so we can get on with things. Sounds oddly familiar....