Thursday, December 15, 2005

Today, I eliminated the Truth Laid Bare from this site because there didn't appear to be any truth to it. Their code simply does not work with this site. Worse, repeated attempts to contact someone at TLB proved futile. It may well be that I implemented the stat collection code incorrectly, but there doesn't seem to be a live person at TLB to answer questions. In any case, 9 out of 10 times, I would get a SQL error when I went to their site. I have all the stats I need through Web-Stat, so TLB wasn't needed in any case.

Last night I tried to get caught up on finances. I also started working on getting things set up on E-Bay so I can start eliminating the piles and piles of books everywhere in the house. There are easily 1,000 titles that I would like to get rid of. I don't have things quite ready, but when I do, I will post something here and add a link over on the right side of the page.

This is one of the stupidest ideas I have seen in a long time. First, I played soccer for six years, have watched soccer for most of my life, and now have coached soccer. In all that time I have never witnessed, nor have I heard of, a head injury. Second, helmets will cause more injuries that they will prevent. If you doubt this, imagine someone running at top speed hitting you in the chest (or face) with a helmet on. Unlike football, there are no pads in soccer, other than shin guards. And a helmet well-built enough to do any good will cause more neck injuries than it will prevent head injuries. (Bicycle helmets are pretty much a waste. I wear one riding in the woods only to keep from getting hit by brush and small limbs. In a major crash, bike helmets simply disintegrate.) Of course we all know where this is going; schools have been trying to eliminate athletics for decades. This is just one more step in that direction. You have to wonder about the IQ of these people; aren't these the same morons that constantly gripe about how fat our kids are? Lets see: stop serving yucky vegetables in the cafeteria and serve pizza, put soda and candy machines every ten feet in every hallway, eliminate gym class, and now eliminate sports. Hmmmm. I wonder what the effect will be on the kiddies' waistlines?

I love the Onion sometimes. The problem is that this is almost not funny given that Wal-Mart and Target fire any employee that wishes a customer "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays."

That's all I have time for today.

No comments: