Friday, April 01, 2005

Another week slips by. We were busy without much of anything going on. Nestina is on spring break, so things ought to be less hectic, but somehow a normal week continues to elude us.

Monday was the kick-off meeting for the church's web design team, Tuesday was a deacon's meeting, Wednesday was youth group, and yesterday we had invited a half-dozen or so people over to our house for dinner (two showed up). So now it's Friday, and I'm not sure what happened to my week.

In any case, tonight is supposed to be just the three of us relaxing at home, having a home-cooked meal, watching movies, etc. I'm not betting the bank account that it will actually happen, but it sounds good in theory.

And if you have sent me e-mail that I have not responded to, I am sorry. We still have no internet connection at home despite my taking Wednesday off work to be home for yet another technician to come and swap around equipment. The connection is just plain dead. In the past when we had problems, there would at least be a few packets that would get through, or things would work sporatically as the connection dropped in and out. Now there is nothing. As I said before, this has been an expensive experiment. I will be signing us up for a dialup connection and a second phone line today. I am all done with wireless.

Terry Schiavo is dead; executed by the courts of Florida and these United States by dehydration (in less enlightened times, that would be called torture). For her, it is over and one can only hope she has finally found peace. For those of us left alive, I am afraid that this is just the beginning. I hear a lot of posturing and hot air, but what I don't see is anyone actually defending the concept of a republic ruled by the people. I'm not sure what the technical name is for a nation ruled by judges holding lifetime appointments, but it is certainly not a republic. There are some people in this country that think this may prove to be important somewhere along the way. Not many, but some.

At the very least, I would like to see Jeb Bush, acting fully within his constitutional powers, fire Florida probate court judge George Greer. It won't happen for reasons I have already stated and have been proven true by the complete lack of any effective action. There was lots of action, but none of it accomplished anything. There was only one thing to do; remove Judge Greer and reinsert the feeding tube until qualified medical personnel (not hand-selected by her husband who clearly wished his wife out of the way) could determine her condition. If the National Guard needed to be used to accomplish this, then so be it. Instead we have the Bush Pussies running around doing nothing of worth while a woman is tortured to death over nearly two weeks.

The Bush Pussies. Sounds like the name of a punk rock band.

Anyway, back to work.

No comments: