Sunday, May 28, 2023

Home at Last

For the last three summers, we have been basically forced by circumstances to snow bird with my parents. Every year, some calamity befalls us. Well, me actually. The first year, I came down with a nasty case of pneumonia that I couldn't get properly diagnosed. The result of that was the loss of about 1/3 of my lungs. The second summer, my janky immune system decided to give rheumatoid arthritis a flyer. I spent a month or so sitting in a chair thinking I would never walk again. Then last summer I nearly lost vision in my right eye (and could have become totally blind). That one is still kickin' my ass as I type this one-eye'd. As winter wore on, I was getting more and more stressed about being 1,000 miles from home, doctors, etc. Finally, sometime in January, I pulled the plug. We would go up for a month to get everything opened up and ready for my dad's 90th birthday party, then we were high-tailing it back home. 

Everything went according to plan, if you don't count my dad sobbing and hanging on to both of us when we tried to leave. Three boring days (the best kind, really) later, we were home. It's a shitbox in an RV park run by assholes, but it's our shitbox.

So now we have to catch up on three summers worth of work that didn't get done, which hopefully will get the park assholes off our backs. That's probably being optimistic. I'm sure as soon as I get their list done, they will come up with a new list. We keep playing the lottery hoping that we'll win enough to get the hell out of here and back onto a large enough piece of property that I never have to see another human being. I am certainly never again going to live someplace like this where I have to ask permission to put flowers in my own front yard. And no, I am not even making that up.

Ron DeSantis had a nicely botched roll-out to his official campaign. Instead of a press conference or fund-raising dinner, he tried some BS thing on Twitter that went badly off the rails. Funny how the smartest guy in the universe (Elon Musk) didn't anticipate the number of people who would try to watch and the servers repeatedly crashed. Kinda like his cars....

But I guess it was a raging success in the one way that actually matters: Money. Over $8 million in less than 24 hours. Personally, I was initially intrigued by the idea of DeSantis running for prez. He was hitting a lot of notes with me as governor, but now I'm not so sure he is ready for prime time. Besides, I would rather see him finish out his second term as governor then run for president when he is off on break (in Florida, the governor can only hold two consecutive four-year terms, then has to take a term off). I'd rather see him here keeping Florida's children out of the clutches of the sexual deviants than being on some quixotic quest for POTUS.

I'm gong to keep this short(-ish) so I have time to unpack the bajillion and a half boxes we brought with us from Michigan. I'm hoping to get back into doing shorter posts every day or so instead of some giant TL;DR post once or twice a month. And yes, I am aware that I have said that many times over the nearly two decades I've had this blog. But this time, I really really mean it. Maybe. We'll see....

No comments: