Tuesday, May 30, 2023

A Bit of a Day

Sometimes the past just jumps up and bites you in the ass. It started when I was looking through my quote file for something to put up there at the top of this page. I ran into an old one from the end of the Lord of the Rings movies when Frodo realizes he can no longer live in the Shire:

How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep; that have taken hold.

I had that at the top of the page for over a year after we left Michigan (and all our family, friends, etc.) and started wandering around the country. We stayed away for close to 15 years, then were more or less forced to start snowbirding with my parents. I put an end to that this year. It really is true; there is no going back. Some hurts take hold. 

Then today we got into sift-and-sort mode mostly trying to find places for all the stuff we brought back from Michigan with us. I hadn't realized just how much duplicate crap we accumulated in a mere three summers of snowbirding. Anyway, I got into a drawer of saved cards, notes, song lyrics and what-not that we had given to each other when we first left Michigan. It was like a punch in the gut.

I'll be ok; I just need to watch a comforting movie like one of the Jason Bourne's (the real ones with Matt Damon).

And this makes three days in a row. Go me!!!

No comments: