Thursday, June 27, 2013

Simon and Garfunkel Garden Update

I realized this morning that I haven't posted a recent picture of our Simon and Garfunkel herb garden:



Everything is thriving except the parsley and the tomato plant. Parsley may end up being an annual as the heat seems to be thoroughly baking it. Parsley worms (what they call the caterpillars for Black Swallowtail butterflies around here) are also munching it pretty heavily. I can live with that. We don't use parsley that much and we like having the butterflies hanging out around the deck. I'll just let this batch do whatever it's going to do over the summer, then replace it come October. I want to switch over to just the flat-leaf variety in any case and do some relocating. The tomato plant is also on its last legs. I'm leaving it in for now as there are still some scattered blossoms on it, but I'm afraid we've seen the last of the tomatoes until fall. By then I hope to have a better place for tomato plants than crowding up the herb garden.

I called about getting some siding on the place back on Monday, but I haven't heard anything back from them. I need to stay off the phone until afternoon (some blah-blah thing about the parents), but as soon as that is over, I'll be touching base with them again. I'd like to get that done as soon as we can make it happen so I can at least call the outside of the trailer "done". That will free me up to do landscaping over the fall and winter months, then move back indoors next summer.

We had a pretty decent little storm blast through here last night. There are limbs all over the back half of our lot that need cleaning up and I need to check the roof. I didn't hear anything that sounded big enough to do damage smack into us, but it never hurts to take a quick peek. The water was just in time to keep me from having to drag the hoses out. With nothing but sand, everything starts looking wilted if it doesn't rain for two or three days. I keep adding stuff to the beds, but it will take years to get enough material dug in to make any real difference.

I need to wrap this thing; getting close to time for that blah-blah-parent thing I mentioned.

No comments: