Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Quiet Hump Day

Things have been pretty quiet at the office the last couple days. Not much door traffic or phone calls other than people looking for a job. If we don't get some returns through the system, no one is going to be working there. Maybe it will pick up closer to the end of the month, but I still think the original goal is horribly over-optimistic.

We got a care package yesterday from Michigan. It had Thin Mints in it!!! They've been in the freezer for about 24 hours. Anybody want to guess what's for dessert tonight?!??! Woohoo!!! Thanks Mom!

And that was probably the most exciting thing that has happened in the last week.

And likely the most exciting thing that will happen for the next week as well.

Speaking of excitement, a Republican won the Senate's "Kennedy Seat." This may be the beginning of the best of all possible worlds; a Republican-controlled Congress and a Democratic president. In my lifetime, we've always seemed to do better with a divided government. We would be hard pressed to do worse than we have in the last year.

Once again, Star Trek replicators they ain't, but now HP is getting into 3D printing. I expect these will now follow the same price trajectory that laser printers did. The first desktop unit I ever used was built by Xerox; in the mid-1980's it cost $5,000, printed 3 pages per minute at 300 dpi, and required two people to carry. Debbie and I just bought a laser printer a month or so ago that cost $50, prints 23 pages per minute at 1200 dpi, and can be carried under my arm. I can think of all kinds of fun I could have with one of these. Keep this printer in mind while you watch this:



Good night, internet. I think I'm going to turn in early.

No comments: