Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Quick Post

Just a quick post, then I'm going to do some reading. Really. For sure this time.

One thing that has kept me from the physical book I'm trying to work through has been an e-book I've been reading on and off for the last couple days titled Sustainable Energy - without the hot air. It isn't completely without hot air, of course. Rather than chose a logical reason for moving us off fossil fuel, like the fact that no matter how much of it there is, it will become scarce at some point, or that oil is far too valuable as a feedstock for industry (plastics, for example) to set the stuff on fire. These reasons get a passing mention, but the horrors of anthropogenic global warming get a couple chapters. Inevitable, I suppose. In any case, this is, as far as possible, a facts-based look at just what it means to run the world on renewable energy. The .pdf download is free, so go grab this thing and take a look. I don't think I'm giving too much away when I say that PV and wind don't come off looking quite as green as some would lead us to believe.

I had a bit of a scare today when several of the web sites I regularly visit were unreachable. My first thought was, "Here we go again." Then I realized that it was, once again, only sites hosted on Typepad that were having trouble. For being a paid service, it certainly seems to be down a great deal. Blogger is far from perfect, but at least it works.

We remain in the holding pattern we have been in for a while now. It will likely continue for another week or so. If nothing has broken loose by then, we will be heading back to Michigan for my niece's wedding and making arrangements for our alternative accommodations where we will try to hold out until the current economic storm blows over.

Off to read a book. For sure this time. Honest.

No comments: