Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Work News

Well, we got the 'big talk' Friday after Connie got back from her manager's meeting Thursday. AAA is not doing so hot compared to last year. Membership numbers are way down....and we are a membership based organization. Our Prescott branch numbers are really bad ---- considering just over a year ago we moved into a new and bigger location. Our office might be one of the first to see closures or layoffs. Ouch!

The funny thing upper management came up with is a new program (called AUTO or something like that) When Connie first started to talk about this "new program", I thought it might have something to do with automobiles. LOL. Nope .... each day there will be a sign up sheet in Connie's (the manager) office. We now can sign up to go home early -- unpaid time off -- does not count against us or affect our benefits. We have to come in and work at least 1 hr --- Connie will determine if we can leave or not. We sign up and put in an estimated time of getting off.

The "funny thing" about this, is I had previously asked about taking unpaid time off and was told no; "because it would affect my benefits." Now, that it is in their best interests, I can now take unpaid time off. Go figure!

I hope things pick up ---- I would hate to have to commute to another AAA office closer to Phoenix. I'm hoping with my computer knowledge and such I wouldn't be one of the first to be laid off. I would guess they would start with the part timers -- lay them off first. Who knows.

I know alot of people are playing the wait and see game. I kinda wonder what will happen after election day. If things are still grim, will people hold on tighter to their money, or say, it won't get better soon, but I need a vacation from all this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb - It's one of those things that when you want to do it - "COMPANY POLICY" says NO - but like you said when THEY want it then it is ok and no quotes about "company policy" - It's the way of the world.
Hope things pick up for your ofc - the commuting isn't fun.
LOVE, Mom