Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Ol' Switcheroo

Well, in what I'm sure will come as a surprise to no one, I gave notice today at the bakery. I should be starting back at the restaurant full time. (Full time in the sense that I will be working a regular shift five days a week instead of my occasional shift; full time as in a 40-hour week seems to not exist as a concept in The Territories.) Giving notice was made much easier by the lunacy I had to put up with all day today from the psychically damaged owner. But at least I have two full days that I don't have to be there, then I'm just short-timing it.

The switch has some definite advantages: higher pay, more hours, two days off every week. The major disadvantage is that the days I will be working are Wednesday through Sunday with Monday and Tuesday off. When I was originally talking to the restaurant owner, she was going to switch back to Tuesday through Saturday like it was when I started working there. But she caved in to the pressure from the mall owners and backed off that idea. It would almost be easier if she just opened the place seven days a week. Then people could at least rotate the days they work so everyone got an occasional weekend off. The one bright spot is that I may be able to trade some double shifts for days off with another day-shift guy. We'll see. Up to now, most of these deals have just turned to dust.

So now I'm counting days until my "retirement" from the bakery. My last day will likely be Saturday, September 13th, and the first day at the restaurant will be Wednesday, September 17. Or I may need to work at the restaurant on the 14th and the bakery on the 15th and 16th. Or not. Nothing like having predictability in your life.

No comments: