Thursday, September 08, 2005

Today, my web stats look a little more like what I would expect: almost every visitor is from North America. I have no idea what was going on last week with visitors from every continent. Combined with the comment spam I can only assume the script kiddies had a new toy to play with and the comment authentication has shut them down. I've said it before and I will say it again: something painful, bloody, public, and fatal has to happen to spammers unless the world is willing to abandon the internet. These same people have already destroyed Usenet. The majority of internet bandwidth is already being eaten by spam, and even the fastest machines made today cannot run even modestly effective e-mail filters without choking. Certainly the Mafia use computers? Understand that the majority of spam comes from a dozen or so individuals. Their names, home addresses, and business addresses are all known and are in fact published on a number of anti-spam web sites. Several live and act like they are rock stars or some other minor celebrity, giving interviews to the press and driving around in Ferrari's. A couple of them beaten to death (as has already happened to a minor player in Russia) would certainly deter the rest?

Or maybe I'm just in a foul mood.

No comments: