Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I finally got around to some plowing last night. I was going to do it Saturday afternoon, but my truck burned up the bearings in one of the center u-joints. This is fairly routine on a plow truck, but the timing sucked dead bunnies. Luckily, the garage was able to fix it by Monday afternoon, so I picked it up, put on the plow, and spent five hours or so moving snow around. This stuff stopped being fun a long time ago.

The up side was that I never left the house from Saturday afternoon until I drove into work Monday morning. It was sweet. I got a lot of work done, including our and Nestina's taxes, and another batch of books on E-Bay. (Hint, hint: lots of really cheap books!!!)

I also started working on another project: collecting up all the stray data I have laying around on diskettes and CD-ROM's and dumping them all into an archive on my Western Digital Passport. I only have the 60G model, but even putting all my MP3's, digital photos, a backup of every piece of data, and pretty much anything I can get my hands on into it, I haven't even filled it half-way. So far, I love this thing. I don't generally have any use for Western Digital drives; every single one I have owned has failed early in life. But I have beat this thing pretty hard and it hasn't lost one byte of data so far. Of course I have at least two other copies of every file on it, because I still don't trust Western Digital hardware. The only thing I need to make this perfect is USB 2.0 ports. My laptop only has USB 1.1, which are much slower. I can add four 2.0 ports for around a hundred bucks, which would not just make the Passport run faster, but would also give me high-speed ports for other neat-o things like a DVD burner.

Well, that's all I have for now.

No comments: