Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Nestina had some friends over for the night last night. I must have been pretty tired because I was able to go to sleep in spite of the non-stop giggling. Other than cooking the girls pizza rolls, I really didn't do much other than start sorting through the digital photos. We have never taken the time to weed out the really bad shots, rotate all of them so the top of the picture is the top of the picture, rename the files to something at least marginally meaningful, etc. I expect the process to go pretty quickly overall, even though we have some massive photo directories from some of the cruises. I need to get the laptop and the Xandros box talking to each other soon: the laptop is starting to get very tight on drive space. It's about five years old now, and only has a 9G hard drive. Having a 3 mega-pixel digital camera is eating that up at a pretty good clip, and I would really like to get a better digital with a 9 or 10 mega-pixel element. The one we have is several years old and is starting to act up. The problem is disk space; I just don't have enough and I can't justify the cost of a camera and drive space. I can't even justify the cost of a camera, but I'm afraid the one we have is just going to die one day. Ah well.

Not much in the news other than the implosion of the Bush White House. It's starting to feel like the Nixon administration again.

I have also added two new blogs: The Dilbert Blog and Mimi in New York. I love Scott Adams' take on blogging (from Dilbert Newsletter 61.0):

When I see news stories about people all over the world who are experiencing hardships, I worry about them, and I rack my brain wondering how I can make a difference. So I decided to start my own blog. That way I won't have time to think about other people.

People who are trying to decide whether to create a blog or not go through a thought process much like this:

  1. The world sure needs more of ME.
  2. Maybe I'll shout more often so that people nearby can experience the joy of knowing my thoughts.
  3. No, wait, shouting looks too crazy.
  4. I know - I'll write down my daily thoughts and badger people to read them.
  5. If only there was a description for this process that doesn't involve the words egomaniac or unnecessary.
  6. What? It's called a blog? I'm there!
The blogger's philosophy goes something like this:

Everything that I think about is more fascinating than the crap in your head.

The beauty of blogging, as compared to writing a book, is that no editor will be interfering with my random spelling and grammar, my complete disregard for the facts, and my wandering sentences that seem to go on and on and never end so that you feel like you need to take a breath and clear your head before you can even consider making it to the end of the sentence that probably didn't need to be written anyhoo.
Exactly.

And that's it.

No comments: