Friday, June 12, 2009

Jury Duty

Yesterday I had jury duty and ended up being sat for a jury trial. Luckily it was only suppose to last 1-2 days since I am flying to Michigan on Monday. It was a criminal case --- DUI/resisting arrest/aggravated assault.

This was the first time I've ever been part of a jury trial. It has some interesting points and some boring points. My biggest surprise was to learn after the lawyers asked their questions of the witness, the jury could write their questions and they were given to the judge. He ended up allowing almost all of the questions we gave them. I was kinda pleased with one of my last questions of the defendant. He maintained that he was okay to drive after how much he had drunk. (testimonies ranged from "a couple beers, a beer and some wine, to couple glasses of wine and some beer) My question to him was: How much do you think YOU can drink before becoming legally intoxicated and not being able to drive? The judge told him to use a regular can of beer as a measurement. The defendant first said he didn't know, then came up with "according to my height and weight and such ... I would say 10 beers.) All the jurors made some type of "unbelievable noise or chuckle" and I think the defendant's lawyer dropped and shook his head.

Anyways ... we found him guilty of the highest DUI he was charged with (over .20 -- legal limit is under .05 here); guilty of resisting arrest and finally not guilty of aggravated assault. We were split on the aggravated assault. Me and one other person said not guilty right away -- basing it on the what the LAW said. One other person was indecisive. After discussing it for a few minutes, we got everyone to say not guilty. What I felt bad about was .... one gentleman said he still thought he was guilty for that offense, but he didn't want to stay much longer or come back the next day. I wonder how many people this happens to? I was ready to write a note to the judge to ask what happens if we can't get an unanimous vote.

Oh well....my duty is done to Arizona. I doubt I will get another summons before we move out of here. Now back to getting things ready around here for our Michigan trip and moving to who knows where at the end of July.

No comments: