Thursday, June 11, 2009

Every time I see a video of Daniela Mercury performing, I'm amazed all over again. This video is from the end of one of her typical, hours-long, non-stop performances:



And no, you're not seeing things; About five minutes in, likely overcome by exhaustion and the audience chanting her name, she starts crying. The rough translation (not by me) of her speech after she collects herself:
You have no idea how crazy and thrilling it feels to be on this stage, trying to do something new in a city that has such a strong and wonderful music. And it's because of this amazing traditional music that I try to reinvent my life and work as an artist. I truly believe we should always focus on the future, moving forward. Brazil has everything it takes to make it work and become a great country, and I believe in that and fight for Brazilian music everywhere I go!

Samba is my root
My national anthem
My way of praying
My carnival

Thank you, Salvador, for respecting my madness and freedom of living!

Gotta learn me some Portuguese.

No comments: