Thursday, February 07, 2008

News for Diabetics

I've never believed in all the magic numbers that the drug industry constantly throws at us: weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar. All arbitrary, and all seem more about selling ever-higher amounts of medication to people than making us healthy.

Or even keeping us alive, it now seems.

Of course, half of that article is telling everyone to not jump to conclusions on the basis of one study, blah, blah, blah. Of course, if one study seems to hint at the possibility that there may be a slight chance of some benefit from me being prescribed yet-another $30-a day drug, my doctor never hesitates. But the possibility that my blood sugar or cholesterol or whatever may just naturally fall outside of the medical industry's arbitrary "normal" range and that artificially forcing my body to conform to those arbitrary ranges may be unhealthy or even deadly? Now, now, lets not be hasty here....

By the way, did I mention I am shopping for a new doctor for the third time in a year?

No comments: