Friday, July 27, 2007

Another Batch of Photos on Flickr

More photos. Sort of a grab bag this time around. A couple shots of a very faint rainbow in our Monsoon set. Our tarantula came back for a visit, only this time he was right next to our open door and a couple feet above where I keep my work shoes. I guarantee I shook them out the next morning before putting them on. There is also a set from Italian Night, which is Arcosanti's largest event of the year. We served dinner to around 400 people, gave them tours, a concert, and a light show. Debbie got a couple pictures of the foundry and me being a tour guide. There is also a new set for all the critters that keep crawling around this place. I included a couple bad photos of the centipede I had blogged about previously. They aren't very clear, but you get an idea of the size of this thing. There is also a couple photos of a giant black bug that invaded our room, and the tadpoles that have taken over one of the ponds here on site. The others all have gold fish in them that eat all the frog eggs, but this one is fish-less at the moment.

Interesting little story about the big black bug. Not the one in our room; that one came to a quick end at the business end of a shoe. But a couple days after those photos were taken, we were in another family's residence when another one just like the one in our room came out from under the couch. Understand, these things are four or five inches long, so this was no common scurrying little six-legger. This is a huge black bug strolling across the living room floor. It walks over to the door, then just stops and waits. The youngest son walks nonchalantly over to the door and opens it. The bug walks outside. Mom says, "Huh; guess he needed to go outside." I suppose when you are the mother of three boys between 7 and 13, this sort of thing is normal?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did I just go and look at all those nasty bugs again? Ugh..We had a nasty creature in our house too on Wednesday night. I'm laying in bed trying to sleep and I can hear the cats knocking stuff over. I'm about to get up and yell at them..I look up.. and something flies over my head. I dive onto floor(go ahead and laugh) and see a bat on our blinds. I hate bats!!!!!

Ric said...

Yep; we're laughing ;-)

We have bats here, but they seem to stay out of the residence areas. But they are a routine fixture in the amphitheater when we have performances, going for the bugs attracted to the stage lights. We also get them in the gallery. They like to fly laps around the room, which is very distracting when I'm doing my talk at the beginning of a tour.

The next set of photos will be safe. Just a lot of rocks and trees and the storm that chased us all day, and one large-ish lizard.