Sunday, July 03, 2005

Fred Reed has another excellent column about race relations in the United States. This is one of many reasons I left Flint. Fred says he isn't sure if the stupidity of affirmative action is from a few loud-mouths or the average black as he doesn't have much contact with blacks. Well, as someone who has lived in a 50/50 white vs. black city for most of my life, I can tell you it isn't just the loud-mouths like Jesse Jackson. There are a lot of ordinary blacks that walk around thinking the entire world owes them something and think nothing of taking offense at stupid things like postage stamps from another country. Speaking of which, it's too bad these cost so much money on E-Bay. I'd like a set to frame and put on my living room wall...

Another typical weekend, meaning crazy-busy. Saturday, we were up early to drive to Lake Ann and pick up Nestina. Then straight up north for a wedding and reception. We landed back at home and made it to bed around midnight. Today we had the normal Sunday routine; nothing special, other than a few faces at church that we haven't seen for a while.

We did have some exciting news from camp week. The other senior high girl that went with Nestina became a believer while at camp. We love you, Katie!! Welcome to God's family.

Next week we have some uber-Creationist "Scientist" coming to our church. I'll be sure to take very detailed notes so I can pretty much level him. Not that it matters; these guys only speak to those that don't have the knowledge to refute anything they say. I'll just be another closet Satanist undermining the One True Teaching (tm) on the origins question.

Evangelicals do have a point when they get so uptight about the evolution vs. creation issue. A couple days ago, I blogged about how I was questioning a great deal of evangelical doctrine and it wasn't holding up so well. To continue to stretch the analogy I made, the original thread I started to pick was precisely this issue. Even if you leave aside the mountain of evidence from the field and the lab that evolution is true and the earth is far older than 6,000 years vs. absolutely nothing on the young-earth creation "science" side, you are left with a host of "Christians" that lie about their college degrees, lie about their qualifications, repeat lies about things Darwin or Dawkins or Gould or Hawkings have said, done, or written. They make assertions without a shred of evidence, then wave aside a mountain of evidence that contradicts their assertions with some tired cliche that does nothing but demonstrate their ignorance. They lie about their life stories, claiming Damascus-Road conversions from evolution to creationism, when in fact they have never been anything but. They try to hide who they really are with false identities. These people are Christians?!? If that is the case, then maybe that is a label I no longer desire.

If I can't keep my mouth shut, next Sunday morning may be my last at Calvary Baptist. One thing that will help is that I can't find anything about this guy on the web, so I have no idea what it is that he will be presenting. I assume that it will be Kent-Hovand-level crap, but without any indications ahead of time, I won't be able to come with specific refutations. I will make sure to rectify that situation next Sunday around 2PM. Look for me on Pandas Thumb.

No comments: