Thursday, October 15, 2009

High (-ish) Speed Internet

We have a sort-of high-speed internet connection; 1.5Mbps through Star Net Wireless. Not the sharpest tools in the shed, nor do humans ever answer their phones, nor will you get the equipment when promised, nor will the instructions that come with it be correct, nor will the first person that tries to answer your questions be aware of, well, of anything. But eventually, you will get a high (-ish) speed connection. Now if we could find filters that work instead of the ones that were sent with the DSL modem, all would be well. Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know which ones are actually made dog crap until you bite into them. Or something like that. It's been a while since I watched that movie.

Anyway, the next step is updating the anti-virus on Debbie's mom's PC and setting all the software on it to start automatically checking for updates. That will likely involve many hours of downloads, installs, reboots, rinse and repeat, given that this PC has been frozen in time for years. Then I have to decide if I'm going to drill holes in the floor and run network cable to the basement, or if I will be buying some sort of wireless adapter/router/whatever. Maybe I'll research that while all the downloads and updates are happening. Any suggestions are welcome. I also need to get the wireless print server out and see if I can get that running so we can stop burning up all Debbie's mom's ink in her printer. Probably not tonight; as I recall from the last time I set that thing up, it is a royal pain in the butt to get it working.

So expect to see more here. Well, not right away; we're going up to see the fam for a few days and look into some possible paying work for moi. But when we get back Monday or Tuesday, I'll start being more consistent about posting here.

And only 14 minutes left on the first of many mega-downloads....

No comments: