Monday, May 24, 2004

We made it there and back in spite of dodging tornados and storms both trying to leave and getting back home. Our flight out Friday was delayed because of storms rolling through Flint. That meant we didn't have much time to tour hotels in Tampa, but that turned out to not be a problem. The first place we went to will do nicely. At that point we were hungry, so we walked next door to Benigan's and had dinner. We stayed at a very swank Marriot closer to the water Friday night, then headed for Disneyworld Saturday morning. Problem was we got turned around because of construction and ended up at Bush Gardens instead. We went back to square one and tried again. This time we ended up on the right road.

The last time I was at Disneyworld was 1982. It is somewhat bigger now. Then, we pretty much covered everything in a day. This trip we spent most of Saturday covering about half of Animal Kingdom, one of the smallest parts of Disneyworld. You could spend a week here and never go to the same place twice. I had fun, being a critter person. Debbie was less than thrilled with some of the creepy crawly stuff. We managed to not get burned (or even tanned). Sunday, we were up early, packed and headed back to Flint to transfer from plane to automobile and drive north. We swung by Debbie's Mom's place for a quick visit then made a run for it as a line of thunderstorms and tornados headed our way. Other than that, it was uneventful.

This was my first time on a plane since September 11 and the new restrictions. My experience in Flint was about what I expected from government employees: no attempt to act like they were dealing with a human being. No one actually said "Moo," but it was a close thing. The Orlando airport seems to operate under the influence of The Mouse: people there were friendly, smiled at us, and even joked around about stealing our cinnamon buns as they went through the x-ray machine. At least I didn't end up in jail, even though I had to strip half-naked to get through the checkpoint. Well, ok I just had to take off my shoes and my belt, but because I've been losing weight, I almost ended up half-naked because I could barely keep my pants on.

In any case, we are home and tired. I have a ton of homework to do and I still have to type up the minutes from the last deacons' meeting for tomorrow night.

The news has become an endless repetition of the same stories. I'm just skimming things these days. Vox Day had some important thoughts on why The Shrub will lose Iraq. Otherwise, nothing really caught my eye.

Well, I gotta go.

No comments: