Friday, May 14, 2010

Slog, Slog

Still working census, although yesterday was a close call; damn near told someone higher up the food chain where they could put their forms after folding them until they were all points. But I just walked out of the room instead and later got a not-really apology via phone. Otherwise, the thing continues. I'm taking most of today off so I have time over the weekend to try to hit the last of the vacation houses I have left, then another binder is done. Onward!

I mentioned in the last post how it was starting to get summer-ish. I take it back. Night-time temps have been down in the 30's and 40's and the highest daytime temp for the last week was in the low 60's. And rain. But it's May, so rain isn't entirely unexpected. And at least it isn't snow. So there's that. This weekend is supposed to be nice, so I'm going to be out banging on the last of the doors and maybe doing some photography around the lake where I've been working census.

Best quote I've seem all week:

He called Standard & Poor’s and asked what would happen to default rates if real estate prices fell. The man at S&P couldn’t say; its model for home prices had no ability to accept a negative number. "They were just assuming home prices would keep going up."

The full context of the quote is a review of the book The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine. Another book for the to-be-read pile. And never forget; these douche nozzles think they are the smartest people in the world. A coffee can buried in the back yard looks better by the minute.

Many of the stories today seem to involve a certain lack of math skills:

Health care will cost double the original estimate.
Oil pouring into the Gulf at far higher rate that original estimate.
Governor gives out huge pay raises as part of budget cuts.

I know our schools suck dead bunnies, but is there anyone that can at least add?

I should go do some laundry and work on finishing up my book today. I may do a bit of census phone work later this afternoon, but mostly just hide inside on a cold, wet day.

No comments: