Friday, April 23, 2010

The End

I made it through my last day as a tax preparer. A looooong slow boring day of doing not much of anything. I still have my key and may work the occasional day if needed. Depending on timing, I may even be teaching some of the tax classes over the summer. But for now, I'm all done with taxes. Now I need to follow up on my ERO application and get myself subscribed to the IRS bulletins and see what they have for online training and certification. And I'll still probably try to pass the last test now that the job I needed it for is over. Just to say I finished it. And I need to get my resume up to date for the meeting Monday. Why is being unemployed so much work?

We don't have any plans for this weekend (other than all the above); we may just grab the good camera and head out to several places we've had our eye on. I need to find where the training for my census job is being held as well, so we can kill two birds with one stone. The weather looks like it will cooperate at least one of the days we both have off.

Everybody remember inflation? Well, guess what. And I know I'm repeating myself, but I cannot figure out why the price of iPods is more important than the price of food and gasoline:

Still, there was little sign of budding inflation in the report. Excluding volatile food and energy costs, wholesale prices rose by 0.1 percent, matching analysts' expectations. [Emphasis mine]

So as long as you don't eat or use electricity, natural gas, propane, gasoline or diesel, inflation is running at a manageable rate.

Comedy Central has cut off their collective balls, put them in jars and mailed them off to the impotent bastard running revolutionmuslim.com. Once again, it's not what they can do to us; it's what they can make us do to ourselves.

To deal with budget shortfalls, Los Angeles is gutting its court system. Teachers, fire fighters, cops, EMS and courts are on the chopping block. Yet oddly, no word on layoffs from the mayor's staff, non-teaching school staff, the legions of political appointees in the police and fire departments or any of the other non-productive government tit-suckers.

From the no-big-surprise department, if more people are covered by health insurance, and it covers more per person, it's going to cost more. Only a morally- and/or mentally-defective politician would try to say otherwise.

We can chalk up eleven more deaths to fossil fuel. That's 51 deaths so far in 2010 directly attributable to fossil fuel extraction, refinement and power generation. Number of deaths from nuclear power: ZERO. But never forget; nuclear is too dangerous.

Like the White Queen who prided herself on believing six impossible things before breakfast, many (including the King of the Self-Deluded, Al Gore) believe in something called "carbon offsets" which basically means putting money into a black box and expecting the carbon emitted by one's daily activities to be magically sucked from the atmosphere. It turns out that, as many suspected all along, the entire carbon offset "industry" is a scam. It seems the best way to reduce one's carbon footprint is to turn off the damn light when you walk out of the room and drag your lazy ass off the couch and plant a tree yourself instead of paying someone else to (mostly not) do it for you.

And speaking of clueless moral defectives: have any of the greenie weenies bothered to calculate the carbon footprint of the Obama/Biden Forever Campaign? Is anyone else becoming nostalgic for the "imperial" Clintons?

I think I'm going to watch a brainless moving, then toddle off to bed.

No comments: