Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Hammer Drops

This is supposed to be the busiest week of tax season. I have been in the office for four and a half hours and have talked to exactly two people other than coworkers and telemarketers: one guy that needed some tax info so he could file his return himself and one lady that came to pick up her stuff because her and her husband decided to do their taxes themselves. Hours are going to get cut way back next week for everybody other than yours truly (mine will likely increase slightly; yay management). I have my doubts this office will exist next year. Given the revenue we've generated, this place is nothing but dead weight. I doubt we're even covering salary.

This was always a temporary gig; that's just the nature of the beast. Even the owner has another job he does the other 9 months of the year. But now that I have so much free time at work (hence the blogging), I've been thinking about what happens next. Or sooner than next if the owner decides to cut his losses and shut this office down. I really don't have a clue; I see a lot of jobs in the paper and Craigslist, but even in an area with relatively low unemployment, every job has a hundred applicants. And even with us both working, we are barely bringing enough home to cover the rent. The cost of living out here is simply insane.

But Obama says it will all be over by spring and we'll all be back to work.

Ah well; I should get back to being bored.

No comments: