Thursday, May 07, 2009

Severance check received

I finally got my severance check from AAA. I was pleasantly surprised that they did not try to take out any other deductions. I had found out from the company that handles our med flex account, that according to IRS rules companies can NOT take out what is overcharged when you leave. That use it or lose it rule works both ways! We had a bunch of dental work done in Jan and I had "overspent" about $575 so far. The other nice thing they did not withhold out of my last check or severance check was "agent errors". (OMG - yes, I made an error! LOL) Of course, the error was something that affected 4 cruise cabins, so the mistake was multiplied by 4. That was another $320 that I was expecting them to take out of my last pay. So, overall I am happy with how my last paycheck and severance check came out. My only duh! moment was when I saw taxes taken out of my severance check. Don't ask me why I was expecting the whole amount, not less taxes! If I would have thought about it, I could have tried to have them change my withholding from single zero to married 9 (or whatever the highest I could do without back up paperwork). Oh well, it is enough after taxes to cover rent for 2 months.

No comments: