Sunday, April 12, 2009

Oops

Well, I'm officially behind schedule with my school stuff. Which explains why I'm blogging instead of doing school work. I didn't get nearly as much done in the last 48 hours as I wanted. I'm not in deep doodoo, but I'm definitely up to my knees. I had hoped to have tomorrow free, but it just wasn't happening. A miracle may occur and get me back on track, but it will definitely take a miracle.

In other news that will warm the hearts (if not the toes) of all our Michigan readers:

DSCF0016

That right. This very morning, April 11, it was snowing in Arizona. We really need to get this global warming thing under control. This is ridiculous.

That photo was taken with this:

DSC08511

Which was a big part of our $1,000 day. It is a Fujifilm Finepix S100fs. In spite of its appearance, it is still considered a point-and-shoot in the super-zoom category. It's got all the standard stuff you would expect from a low-end DSLR including enough modes and buttons to keep me busy with the owners manual for a couple days. What it doesn't have is interchangeable lenses or a true viewfinder and prism that is the defining element of a DSLR. I've done a few test shots, but only to make sure the thing works. Now you know why I was pushing so hard to have the weekend free. It's all I can do to keep my eyes on the computer screen with that puppy sitting two steps from me just teasing me all day. But it will keep for a few weeks, I guess. Anyway, this is part of getting somewhat more serious about photography again. The intention is for this to become a backup to a true DSLR at some point down the road, but that point is a loooong way down the road unless we hit the Powerball.

I took the time to make a quick circuit of my regular internet haunts, and, to mis-quote the Kinks, the news was so bad I nearly fell off the couch:

Record monthly budget deficit in March, with more of the same as far as the eye can see. We all knew this was coming, but to see the number is truly astonishing.

Two more banks fail, bringing the 2009 total to 23. There were "only" 25 failures in all of 2008. The FDIC fund that covers the deposits of failed banks fell from $52.4 billion at the end of 2007 to $18.9 billion at the end of 2008. It doesn't take a crystal ball to see where this is going.

The government continues to demand that auto industry bondholders take huge losses, which they should. My question is, when will the same be asked of the financial industry bondholders? Ohhhhh, riiiiiight. Obama's advisers are all ex-Wall Street types. Not one of them is from the auto industry. So the answer is, "Never."

"I'd like to fly but I can't even swim." Indeed.



To lighten the mood somewhat, here is what results from having enough disposable income for 100,000 LEGO pieces, a very large spare room, and no life. Just to give you a sense of its size, if it is truly 1:40 scale, it is over 20 feet long and 3 feet wide.

And just for an excuse to use my now-world-famous HCHSBTSPODTUTBGTUTHADHOI, here is part of what the doubling of your electric bill will be paying for when cap-and-trade becomes the law of the land. That and putting a few hundred million in Al Gore's pocket every year. But he's not being biased when he flies all over the world warning of the imminent doom of the planet while he leaves the lights on in his 7,000 square foot "house." Or hypocritical. Just a selfless public servant.

And we finally got to the bottom of why our domain mysteriously stopped working after several years of not having any problems. It's seems Yahoo screwed something up in the DNS. At least they were relatively quick about it, although if this was a business, I wouldn't be quite so forgiving. But at least as of five minutes ago, www.rdfrost.com will bring you here and the masking should keep our domain in the address bar. Should.

No comments: