Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Not a Great Day

I didn't get nearly as much work done today as I wanted. I could be in some trouble here. I'm changing up the schedule tomorrow and seeing if that will shake something loose, but the bottom line is that I need to have several thousands of words in final form in seven days, and I don't know if I can do that. We'll see how the next couple days go.

Debbie was in Phoenix today for some sort of seminar thing that AAA paid for all the people they laid off to go to. One of those resume-writing, job-hunting things. As happens every couple years, the recommended format for a resume has changed. I'm sure the people who write books and put on paid seminars teaching people how to correctly format their resumes have nothing to do with the constant changes in the recommended format of resumes.

My father, he makes prophylactics,
He pierces each one with a pin.
My mother, she procures abortions,
My God, how the money rolls in!

I'm sure those good people would never take advantage of those who have been laid-off, now would they?

I'm sure it's just because I'm in a foul mood. Or maybe because I've been through this sort of thing before and recall everybody and their brother opening a job retraining center that took truckloads of tax money and promised to turn 50-year-old shop rats into computer programmers in just six weeks. I also seem to recall the retraining centers vanishing with the truckloads of money and Flint still had busloads of 50-year-old shop rats that couldn't find the letter "A" on a keyboard. In any case, this particular gig isn't costing us anything other than the gas for Debbie to drive down there, and the seminar is being paid for by AAA rather than the taxpayers, so there isn't really any harm in it. It's a two-day thing so she will be down there tomorrow as well.

I also recall a lot of pep rallies in Flint around 1982. Nothing new under the sun.

OK; I'm going to stop and go to bed before I really piss someone off.

No comments: