Monday, March 30, 2009

I Should Be Sleeping

But instead, I'm blogging. For a couple nights, I was able to get to bed early and get up early, but it didn't last long. Sooooo....

I think I mentioned the AIG bonus thing when it first broke, but I've been too distracted to say much about the resulting fallout. First, given that all politicians are moral defectives, does anyone really believe that the entire Congress, who owns 80% of AIG, knew nothing of the bonuses? Really? If you do, please contact me about some ocean-front property I'm selling up in North Dakota. It's simple; either everyone in the federal government is a liar, or they are grossly incompetent. And anyone living in south-east Michigan may want to take note: these same jackasses are now running GM. (Chrysler is a dead stick and has been for years; the worst thing the car czar could do to it is hasten the inevitable.)

Second, before you mist all up about the poor AIG folks who didn't get to keep their bonuses, you may want to read the other other side of the story. There are several good points made in that article, but there is one that to me is key. The purpose of the retention bonuses was to keep people familiar with what was happening in AIGFS on board. By claiming he wasn't aware of what was going on, DeSantis defeats his own argument for the bonuses. Again, there is a binary choice here; either he knew what was going on and chose to just ride the gravy train to hell then lie about it, or he is incompetent.

None of it matters. Taxpayer money will continue to be poured into the gaping maw of AIG (and Citi and BoA and GM and...). Nothing any of us do will make one bit of difference. The moral defectives will do whatever the hell benefits them and the rest of us be damned.

No comments: