Monday, February 23, 2009

In the News

While taking a break before I dive into bed for my allotted 3-4 hours sleep so I can jump back into school work, I ran across a few interesting news items:

Britain is bracing for a "summer of rage." Uh, ya think?

Clinton is over in China begging them to keep loaning money to our government. The "logic" of Clinton's arguments are just precious: loan money to the US government so it can give it to zombie banks in the hope that they will lend it to consumers who are already defaulting on every class of debt, who will then buy more useless crap from China who will loan the money to the US government.... Isn't that exactly how we got into this mess?

So what do you do with a $70,000, 103-inch flatscreen? Lay it face up and turn it into a fake air hockey game. As soon as I read the first paragraph, I saw several problems. The writers saw them too. First, air hockey is about smashing the puck as hard and fast as you can. Rubbing your fingers around on a screen just ain't the same. Secondly, part of... OK, most of the fun of air hockey is the high probability of a player or spectator taking a puck to the face. For me, eliminating that possibility is a deal-breaker. I'll just find a pinball machine to feed my quarters to. Finally, how long before there's a video on YouTube of some guy getting a little too physical and taking a header through the middle of the screen?

Well, enough fun. Off to bed.

No comments: