Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Our 44th President

I'm a little late with something about the inauguration. Luckily, this isn't a news site. Anyway.

I wish the Obama's well. The country could use some positive news about now, although I'm pretty sure it will be in short supply for the rest of 2009. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Jerry Pournelle sums it up well: we can take great pride in yet-another peaceful transition of power. That is something we take for granted, but is historically rare. Once again, some in the Congress seem to want that to change. We can hope that this is just verbal payback for the right-wing nonsense back when W took over for Clinton. If this ever happens; if there is ever a case where quietly packing your bags and leaving the White House becomes dangerous to the person doing the leaving, it's game over for the Republic.

I really hope that the morning (female-dominated) "news" shows quit obsessing over the Obama girls. Leave the kids out of it. Stop reporting on what they wear, what the school cafeteria is serving for lunch, what brand of backpack they have, blah, blah, blah. Just. Shut. Up. If you can't find anything more important to talk about, consider a change in career. I'm sure someone needs a maid. Leave the kids alone. And leave their mother alone as well. If she isn't attending a public event, Michelle doesn't exist as far as the "news" media are concerned.

Speaking of good news. GM is no longer the largest auto company in the world. The best unintentionally funny line in the article is a quote from Mike DiGiovanni, GM's executive director of global market and industry analysis: "I don't think being No. 1 in vehicle sales means much at all to the American consumer...." Right, Mike. Now that you're not number one, it isn't important. I can hear similar sentiments from six-year-olds on any playground: "Well, fine! I didn't wanna play your stupid game anyway!" Good luck with that, Mike. Oh, and how's that "viability" plan you promised Congress coming along?

And still no books for my class. Maybe tomorrow. If not, this whole thing may be screwed up before I even start.

No comments: