Friday, October 17, 2008

Sleepless in Prescott

Guess it's my turn to not sleep at night.

Maybe I'm just excited about playing with my new Drobo. One of the drive enclosures died a couple days ago. I could have just bought another one, but decided to bite the bullet and get the Drobo along with another 500 GB hard drive instead. I just finished consolidating all the files from three external drives onto the Drobo, which will simplify things considerably. I didn't bother with the DroboShare as we only have one computer so it's just a really big USB drive. Our data is relatively safe at this point. Still need to do some sort of off-site back-up. Probably something like Carbonite, but not until I have a couple paychecks under my belt.

So I still have about 1 terrabyte attached to the laptop, only now it's on a single logical device with automatic redundancy. It really is a sweet little device. It takes literally 20 seconds to add a hard drive with no need to worry about formating or defining the drive. New drives can be added, existing drives removed or swapped out without worrying about where anything is stored. I've worked with RAID arrays in server rooms for years, but I never expected to be able to have one sitting in my living room.

No comments: